
President Donald Trump moved Friday to address one of the most politically sensitive grocery prices facing American consumers, announcing on his Truth Social platform a 90-day plan to allow up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef imports into the United States without an out-of-quota tariff.
But instead of calming the cattle market, the announcement sent cattle futures sharply lower and immediately triggered a backlash from some of the nation’s largest farm and ranch organizations.
Trump announced the plan in a Truth Social post Friday morning, saying the agreement would “substantially lower the price of ground beef for working American families.”
He said the imported beef would be sold at 25% below current market prices, arguing the move would provide consumers with short-term relief while giving the U.S. cattle herd time to rebuild.
“This deal will reduce prices for Americans while giving space for our Great American Beef Herd to grow again,” Trump said.
The announcement came as the U.S. cattle industry is already facing an unprecedented supply squeeze—and on the same day USDA reported another stark warning sign for future beef supplies.
A Market Already Starved for Cattle
USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service reported Friday that U.S. feedlots placed approximately 1.42 million cattle on feed during July, down 11% from a year earlier.
It was the lowest July placement figure recorded since the current data series began in 1996.
The juxtaposition was striking: Washington announced more foreign beef could enter the country just hours before USDA released data showing fewer cattle are entering the nation’s feedlots.
The market reaction was immediate.
Cattle futures plunged Friday morning, reaching eight- to nine-month lows before recovering some of the losses later in the session. Even with the rebound, cattle finished the week at sharply lower levels.
For cattle producers, the timing could hardly be more consequential.
Ranchers are approaching the fall period when many must decide whether to retain heifers, expand breeding herds and commit additional capital to rebuilding cattle numbers.
Those decisions depend heavily on market signals.
And producers argue Friday’s announcement sent the wrong signal.
NCBA: “Cold Water” on Herd Expansion
The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (NCBA) quickly criticized the plan.
NCBA CEO Colin Woodall said cattle producers understand the pressure consumers are facing at the grocery store, but argued that increasing imports of government-subsidized, below-market beef is not the answer.
“While America’s cattle producers share the goal of keeping groceries affordable for consumers, flooding the market with government-subsidized, below-market beef is not the way to rebuild the American cattle herd,” Woodall said.
He added that cattle markets had already turned sharply lower Friday morning, hurting producers at a critical point in the production cycle.
Cattle producers, he said, have been responding to strong demand and historically high prices while attempting to rebuild herds following years of drought, elevated feed and input costs and other financial pressures.
“Today’s announcement and other market interventions throw cold water on the prospect of herd expansion and sacrifices long-term stability for short-term messaging,” Woodall said.
That concern goes to the heart of the beef supply problem.
The United States doesn’t simply need more beef in a warehouse or more boxed beef moving through the supply chain. It needs more cattle.
And rebuilding the nation’s breeding herd takes years.
Farm Bureau Warns of Long-Term Consequences
The American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF) also sharply criticized the announcement.
AFBF President Zippy Duvall said U.S. beef imports are already running at record levels and warned that another 300,000 metric tons could significantly increase foreign beef’s presence in the American market.
The additional imports amount to nearly 660 million pounds of beef.
Farm Bureau said the move could represent roughly a 60% increase in imports over the next 90 days, based on current import volumes.
“For almost a year now, we’ve been advising the administration that America’s ranchers are working to rebuild beef herds that had to be sold off due to drought,” Duvall said.
He pointed to another disconnect confronting the industry: consumers continue to pay historically high prices for beef, while cattle prices paid to producers have fallen sharply over the past two months.
At the same time, several beef packing plants have closed or announced plans to close as processors struggle with the cost and availability of cattle.
Duvall warned that flooding the market with additional foreign beef could undermine the fragile recovery underway in the U.S. cattle industry.
“Growing dependence on foreign-grown food could ultimately lead to even higher grocery costs and reliance on other nations for our food security,” he said.
Details of the Import Deal Remain Unclear
One of the biggest questions surrounding Trump’s announcement is exactly how the plan will work.
Trump did not identify the countries that would supply the additional beef.
He also did not specify which tariff-rate quotas would receive relief, which products would qualify or exactly how the promised 25% discount would be implemented throughout the supply chain.
A White House official said Trump is expected to sign an executive order within the next two weeks removing the applicable tariffs.
Trump later told reporters he did not want to identify the countries involved, saying several countries would provide “the highest quality beef.”
Brazil is one potential supplier.
Brazil is a major source of U.S. beef imports and is one of the relatively few countries capable of supplying large volumes of beef to the United States within a 90-day window.
Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva spoke with Trump Friday, according to the Brazilian government, although its statement focused on broader tariff negotiations and did not specifically mention beef.
Canada and Mexico already have tariff-free access under existing trade agreements. Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and Uruguay are among the other major beef suppliers to the U.S. market.
How Much Beef Is 300,000 Metric Tons?
The size of the proposed import increase sounds enormous, but economists and market analysts questioned how much impact it would actually have on retail beef prices.
The United States imported approximately 4.4 billion pounds of beef in 2025. An additional 300,000 metric tons—roughly 661 million pounds—would equal nearly 15% of that annual import volume if measured against that benchmark.
But spreading that volume across just 90 days creates another question: whether enough eligible foreign beef can actually reach the U.S. market quickly enough to materially change retail prices.
Independent cattle trader Dan Norcini described the additional volume as “a drop in the bucket” compared with the underlying supply problem.
The fundamental issue, he said, remains the size of the domestic cattle herd.
The Herd Is the Problem
U.S. cattle inventories have fallen to their lowest level in roughly 75 years.
Years of drought forced ranchers to liquidate breeding cattle as pastures deteriorated and feed costs climbed. High input costs and tight margins compounded the problem.
Once those cows leave the herd, rebuilding isn’t as simple as turning production back on.
A retained heifer must reach breeding age. She must be bred. She must successfully calve. That calf must then spend months growing before eventually entering the beef supply chain.
The process takes years.
That’s why cattle organizations argue the strongest long-term solution to high beef prices is increasing domestic cattle numbers—not temporarily increasing imports.
The problem is that consumers cannot wait years for additional cattle to become steaks and ground beef at the grocery store.
That creates the political and economic tension at the center of Friday’s announcement.
Beef Prices Become a Political Flashpoint
Beef has become one of the most visible symbols of persistent grocery inflation.
Ground beef prices have climbed sharply, with the New York Times reporting that the price of ground beef has increased 24% since Trump returned to office in January 2025.
Trump said Friday he was acting because consumers want lower prices.
“We want to get the beef prices down, so we will get them down a little bit,” Trump said before departing for South Carolina. “That’s what people want, that’s what the voters want, and that’s what I want.”
He also defended the nation’s ranchers.
“The ranchers are great. They’re my people. I love the ranchers,” Trump said, adding that they had done a “fantastic job.”
But not every Republican representing cattle country agreed with the approach.
Nebraska Republican Sen. Deb Fischer said she was “extremely disappointed.”
“We all want lower grocery prices, but as I’ve said for months, we cannot do it at the expense of American producers,” Fischer said. “Flooding the market with foreign beef hurts our livestock industry and undermines the long-term solution: growing the U.S. cattle herd to meet demand.”
Another Import Increase in an Already Tight Market
Friday’s announcement isn’t the administration’s first move this year to increase beef imports.
In February, the administration announced plans to bring an additional 80,000 metric tons of Argentine beef into the United States in quarterly tranches without tariffs.
With Friday’s proposed increase, 2026 could see a substantial expansion in tariff-free or lower-tariff beef access.
Meanwhile, another potential source of cattle supply is beginning to emerge.
The United States halted imports of live Mexican cattle in May 2025 because of concerns over the northward spread of New World screwworm.
USDA plans to begin reopening the southern border to Mexican cattle Monday, August 24, with a gradual reopening process.
But even additional cattle imports won’t provide an immediate solution to the U.S. herd shortage.
The Bigger Question: Who Bears the Cost?
The debate now moves beyond whether consumers need lower beef prices.
The larger question is whether a short-term increase in imported beef can provide meaningful grocery relief without weakening the economic incentives cattle producers need to rebuild the nation’s herd.
For cattle producers, Friday’s market reaction was a warning.
They have spent years shrinking herds in response to drought and economic pressure. Now, with beef demand strong and domestic cattle supplies historically tight, ranchers are finally positioned to begin rebuilding.
But rebuilding requires confidence that today’s high cattle prices will still provide an adequate return several years from now.
If imports push cattle prices lower at the very moment producers are deciding whether to retain breeding stock, ranchers say the recovery could stall.
That could leave consumers facing the same fundamental problem down the road: too few cattle to meet demand.
Trump’s plan is designed to provide relief within 90 days.
The cattle industry’s response is that rebuilding America’s beef herd will take considerably longer.
And that leaves the U.S. cattle sector facing a difficult balancing act: lower the price of beef for consumers today without undermining the investment needed to produce more American beef tomorrow.
For ranchers preparing to make herd decisions this fall, Friday’s announcement may have changed the market signals at precisely the moment those decisions matter most.







